This post is dedicated to all those special words that Punekars come up with.
1) Awraa... I dont know how to explain this in english. It has no parallel. If anyone says or does anything not ordinary, thats the typical reaction. "Awraa..." (prolong the end.. the emotions overflow if you sustain the end)
1st person: "Are Zampya ni pori kade vakdya najarene pahila "...
2) Vadheev... A suitable english word would be a whimsical person or an act. Initially it was used to describe a person, by saying stuff suuch as Kay vadheev ahe to. But soon enough its other forms started appearing. Vadheevpana, vadheevgiri etc etc.
"Arre Zampya kasla vadheev vagato"
3) Napaas/FAIL.. If anyone does anything stupid, then he is FAIL.
"Arre Zampya! Sadhi porgi patavta yet nai tula! Tu Napaas /FAIL ahes"
4) Aai chi jay! An exclamation which literally means "Hail Oh Mother"! An expression to display the emotion of shock or surprize.
1st person: "Arre Zampya la muli avadatat"..
Punekar(who is least expecting this): "Aai chi Jay!"
5) Haramya. An adjective used to describe a devious person. Someone who says something and does the opposite.
"Arre Haramya.. asa vagtat ka!"
6) Chhapri.. A mild way to curse a person. It means that a person has no standards. Associated with banter only.
"Arre chhapri!! he kaay ahe!"
7) Ghanta.. literally means bell. But in puneri marathi it is a word to express deep disbelief at someones actions.
1st person: "Arre, Zampya kaal eka pori barobar firat hota!!"..
8. Barrr.... a conversation ender. literally means OK. but in the rudest of the rude puneri ethos, this is said when the person opposite is boring you to death. He says anything, just say barr!, and he wont know what to say.
(..remember to keep it extremely short.. shorter the 'barrr'.. more the rudeness)
1st person: "Are tula mahitye ka he ha blah blah blah blah... blah blah blah"
1st person: "!!??!!" (tjjjjkk - which means he's baffled)
9) Kamaal... Something amazing. If anything or anyone is out of this world, this word is used to describe it.
"Edyaa.. Zampya chi navin girlfriend pahilis ka?? Kamaaal ahe rao!"
10) Balach.. Nonsensical. Used to dismiss claims made by the other person.
Zampya: "arre me vargat pahila alo"
11) Bhurtya.. Used to describe a person who acts like an idiot. a sugar coated swear word for a waif individual.
"are ae bhurtya salya"
13) Dokyat jau nako! Used to silence the person opposite if he is making outrageous claims.
1st person: "Arre merreko ye mila, woh mila"
Punekar: "Dokyat jau nakos re!! Gappa bass"
14) Edya layee bhaari.. word to word, it means Awesomely Amazing!
Usage:Zampya: "Arre mulgi patavli"
Punekar: "Edya layeee bhaari!"
15) Full Hawa.. Means show off..
"Arre, zampya ni porgi patavli.. ata full hawaa kartoy!"
16) Fukat hawa... unnecessary show off.
"kaam tar itarankadun karun ghetla ani swataha fukat hawaa karat basla"
17) Ashakkya! means impossible, and is used to describe a variety of things ranging from boredom to enjoyment
Ghari basun Ashakkya bor zalay.
Arre trek la ashakkya majaa ali!
18) Ghari Ja! An exclamation to tell the other person to stop meaningless argument. Literally means "Go Home"
1st person: "Arre, tula mahitye ka blah blah blah blah"
Punekar: "Aee chal, Ghari jaa re!"
19) Ek Numberr/ Vishesshh!! again means Awesome!
"Arre amchi exam Vishssesshh hoti! Ekk number" (remember the stress is on 'Ek', the number is not so important)
21) Aai chya gavat! means In mother's village. But in puneri marathi, it is a phrase used to describe surprize.
1st person: "Arre... aaj aaplyala assignment submit karaychi ahe."
Punekar: "Aai chya gavat!"
22) Full Radaaa... means a brawl, or mismanagement or any other activity which leads to chaos.
"Arre ganpati baghtana Lakshmi road var fulll radaaaa zala hota"
23) Matter zala.. means someone is in trouble.
"Arre.. kharaab matter zalay... exam madhe Zampya chi copy pakadli geli"
24) Arre mitra! is a phrase used to address any person you may or may not know.
"Arre mitra... shanta ho jaraa"
26) Dokyala Shot / Dokyaachi Mandai .. irritating person/event.
1st person: " te bagh... Zampya chi girlfriend yetye"
Punekar: "Chal are ithun!! dokyala shot ahe ti!" / "Chal are ithun.. dokyaachi mandai karte aare ti!"
27) Challan... it might sound like some receipt in banking terms but it Puneri means 'a bluff'.
"Arre tula mahit aahe ka.. kaal me marathon madhe 20km palalo "
[size=0pt]Punekar: "Gaap bass.. ugi.. challan taku nakos!!"
28) Jeev de re tu! a disdainful remark to someone who is irritating you.
1st person. "Arre tula mahitye ka.. blah blah blah blah"
Punekar.. "Jeev de re tu!"
29) Kahi!!! Another word used to express disbelief.. usually used as "Kahihi kay!!"
Zampya: "Arre maajha lagna tharlay"
Punekar: "Kahi kay re!!"
30) Baazar Uthlaay .. literally means the market is standing.. but for a punekar it is special as it is used only when he has failed in achieving something..
1st person: "Zampya asa kaay wagtoy re aaj kaaal?"
Punekar: "aare tyane tya muli la pro takla.. ti tyaala nahi mhanali.. mhanun kadachit tyaacha baazar uthlaay!"
31) Haat var zalet.. means hands held high.. situation is out of control.
"Aarreee yaar!! parikshemule haat var zalet maze!"
32) Cheap pana: Universally used to describe anything that you dont want!
"Arre kay cheap pana ahe ha!! roj roj kay pariksha"
33) Vayaaaa means waste... used to describe person, behaviour, anything!
"Arre Zampya vayaa ahe full.. kiti vayaaa vagato!"
34) Majjor (Infinite): Exaggerated claims.. Used to increase the strength of your claims.
"Arre Zampye aaj kal Majjor (Infinite) dokyat jaato rao!"
35) Kissa: Kissa is a retrospect of something that a person does not usually do. An act which receives lot of attention, and the person responsible gets lots of flack, then it is a Kissa.
"Arree.. Zampya ani tyachi girlfriend rastyat bekkar bhandat hote.. Vadheev.. Kissa hota!"
36) Chiwda : Utter Chaos. Similar to raadaa, although less intense.
"Arre mitranno! mazya profile picture var jara kami commenting kara! kaay chiwdaa karun thevlay ithe saglyanni!"
37) Jamlaay which means well done.. appreciation of ones deeds..
Usage:1st Person: "aare tula mahitye ka? Zampya ni porgi patavli.."
Punekar: "aaaila.. Jamlaay!!"
38) Rao.. it is term used specifically while expressing pathos.. but it may have multiple uses.. it may also be used to show mild respect.. it is in the feelings behind how it is said.. only a Punekar can express it.. only a punekar can understand the feelings behind it..
1st person: "Sorry aare.. me nahi yeu shaknar udya tujha barobar.."
Punekar: "Kaaaaay raaao.."
1st Person: "aare tula mahitye ka? Zampya 2-2 porinna firavtoy aaj kaal.."
Punekar: "aaaila.. Jamlaay raao!!"
39) Kadakk. (usually used along with Baaap) which literally means rock solid (along with Father).. but for a punekar.. it means sensational.. or incredible..
Usage:"Tu gathering la Zampyachya item cha performance pahilaas ka?? Kadakk.. Baaaapp!!"
40) Don't.. as the word suggests.. yes, it is one of the many words that mean the same.. but the feelings behind it are tremendous..
Usage:"Tyaala saang.. ticha pasun laamb raaha.. Don't.. nahi tar raada hoil!!"[/size]